One of the best ways to support Israel is to buy Israeli products. Between the military campaign and the subsequent drop in tourism, the factories and businesses in the South need your support now more then ever. You can donate money to people who will go shopping in the South, but did you know there are products in your local supermarket that are manufactured in the South? The “Made in Israel” campaign has compiled a list of manufacturers that are located in the South, 13 of which are food-related. Here is the list in English:
(3) Dorot- one of my favorite companies! They make cubes of garlic, parsley, ginger, chili and more that are chopped and frozen for easy use. This product is even exported so you can tell your friends in Canada, Hungary, France, South Africa, Spain, the US and the UK to buy it as well. An international store locator is on their web site. For more information call 08-6808095 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(4) Top-Gam candy- better known as the Tent’a brand (תנת’ה).Not only is the Sderot-based factory staying open, but it is donating packages of candy to the soldiers as well. You can find Tent’a products in Shufersal and Mega in addition to the US and the EU. For more information, go to their web site (English), call 08-6616111 or email email@example.com.
(5) Tufinit chocolate- Lots of delicious chocolates such as those given out at smachot. Their chocolate can also be found at Aroma and Cafe Cafe. For more information, go to their web site or call 08-9340805.
(7) Tibulim- similar to Dorot, they make frozen chopped herbs and spices. For more information call 08-9930885 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(8) Chavat HaBuffalo- dairy products made from buffalo milk can be found in stores such as Shufersal, Eden Teva Market, Co-op , and Aroma cafe shops. For more information, go to their web site, Facebook page, call 08-8574508 or email email@example.com.
(9) HaBesor olive oil- award winning and superior in quality. You can even see the laboratory analysis of their oil’s fatty acid content on their web site. For more information call 054-6644717 or 052-4874025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(10) The Pita Boutique (בוטיק הפיתה)- All sorts of breads, calzones, and pizza. You can order online for pickup if you are in the Ashdod area. They also deliver to the soldiers. For more information go to their Facebook page or call 08-8562414.
(11) Tivit (טבעית)- “Nature’s Healthy Snacks”- They make healthy granola bars for what seems to be only private label so I am not sure if you will be able to find it in the stores. You can contact them by calling 054-3320410 or sending an email to NaturesHealthySnacks@gmail.com. For more information check out their web site.
(12) Stybel flour (שטיבל)- Although they are national, they have flour mills in Ashdod and Beersheva. You can order flour online or by telephone to be sent to your house. If you live in California, you can purchase online from this store. For more information, go to their web site, call 04-9020114 or email email@example.com.
There are many more factories that are located in the South such as Osem (one factory in Sderot) and Yad Mordechai (Kibbutz Yad Mordechai), but I think the focus was on smaller businesses who are more directly affected by the military campaign.