Election Day- it’s all about being free
Election Day means democracy, the freedom to vote who you think should be the leader of your country, the freedom from having to work, and free events throughout the country. Here is a taste of what’s going on:
- Free travel- if you are 20 km or more away from your voting district, you can travel there for free by bus or train. It doesn’t matter what the reason is- according to Giyora Fords, Speaker of the Central Elections Committee, if you are registered to vote in Haifa but happen to be in Tel Aviv on Election Day, you can get a free round-trip ticket from Tel Aviv to Haifa that day. If you do not qualify for that deal, you can get a free ride with Uber taxi (up to 40 shekels). To get the discount, use the code “בחירות2015” in the app.
- Neot Kedumim will open its doors for free from 9:00-15:00 on Election Day. There will be other activities for a fee such as guided tours, a train ride, and navigation through the park with quizzes and activities.
- To help get into the Pesach spirit, studio &Joy is offering grownups and families the chance to work with people with special needs to help package Pesach gifts and arrange flowers. The workshop will take place from 10:00-15:00 in Studio And Joy in Park Afek in Rosh HaAyin. To participate, call 03-9011735 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kids from ages 6-16 will be running the Youth Shuk HaPishPishim in Kanyon Savyonim in Yehud. There is no charge to participate and each item must be priced at 15 shekels or under. It is too late to register but it is worth a meander if you are in the neighborhood.
- Kenyon Renanim in Raanana will be having its own snow city with snow delivered fresh from the Chermon! Feel free to build snowmen, have snowball fights and more. For more information, call 09-7470500.
- Help the elderly exercise their right to vote! The non-profit organization Kol Dorot is recruiting volunteers to accompany the elderly to their voting stations. They put out a special call for help in Tel Aviv, Bat Yam, and Lod but are recruiting throughout the country. To volunteer, call Nitzan at 052-454-5092 or to Kol HaDorot at 050-8818207. For more information, go to their Facebook page.
- The National Parks have lots of special activities going on. Parks that have activities with no additional charge other than the admission fee include Beit Guvrin, Einot Tzukim, Caesarea, Beit Shearim, Ein Prat, and Ein Prat. For more information, go to the Reshut HaTeva web site.